[G4] Moving G4 List to Hard Drive

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Mon Apr 28 20:00:44 PDT 2008

At 19:11 -0700 4/28/08, John Sparks wrote:
>Hi Al and others:
>I apparently was not clear, on my old G4 1.25Dual 800 running OS  10.4.11, I saved all the G4 List to my Hard Drive, which I still have  on an external H/D. ( Old G4 Power Supply and Logic Board crashed and  burned, mysteriously). This was in Mail and to a Mailbox in Mail.
>
>Now on the Mac Pro, OS 10.5.2 and in Mail I can file all e-mail to a
>mailbox except My G4 List. It will not let me move it. This stumps me,  I tried moving a copy, and I tried resending list to me, to no avail.

That sure sounds like a badly damaged file on the disk. It's the kind of thing that can happen is a hardware failure in the computer occurred while writing additions to the file.

You might try making a copy of the file with Terminal.app. cp is the logical UNIX command. cpMac was the way to go in 10.3.9 but I think its features are included in cp as of Leopard. DIsk Utility might be helpful.

But it seems not to be working tonight.

I probably have the messages on a disk somewhere. They would be in "standard" *.mbx files as kept by Eudora pretty much the same way they're kept on a POP3 server. Reply off line if you want to pursue that. Leave the subject line as is to keep out of my filters.

--
--> If  it's not  on  fire  it's  a  software  problem. <--