[G4] Spinning Beachball

Luke Rademacher lz4broc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 20:18:40 PDT 2008

Have you run any cron scripts lately? repaired permissions? how full
is your Boot HD?

Do you have Tech Tool or Diskwarrior?

It almost sounds like to me is you are experience some major Pageouts
which would normally indicate not enough RAM. but you list 2GB RAM
which is the max for the MDD Dual G4. so I wonder if your Main OSX
Boot HD is getting full. When the Boot HD gets too full you can get
issues like the spinning beach ball because the OS uses part of the
Boot HD for Virtual Memory use.

Its also a great idea to Routinely run Repair Permissions and your
Daily, Weekly, and Monthly cron scripts. The App I love which is free
is YASU. You can get it from MacUpdate or Versiontracker. With YASU
you can clear out Cache files, empty Logs, etc. All these logs and
such build up and can bog down your system.

If nothing changes after that, then I'd be almost tempted to say you
got a Trojan. Its hard to believe about Viri on a Mac but its
becoming more prevalent.

Peace,

Luke Rademacher
Liquid Zone Graphics
Mac mini 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 80GB HD, Combo DVD/CDRW,
Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.4, ext NewerTech miniStack w/ 320GB HD.
MDD Dual 1.25Ghz G4, 2GB RAM, 250GB/120GB/80GB HD's, 16x DL DVD±R/RW
Superdrive, Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.11, Classic Mac OS 9.2.2.
Intel Celeron 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Ubuntu Linux 8.04
5.5th gen 80GB Enhanced Video iPod
Canon CanoScan 8400F
Canon Pixma iP450