[G4] The definitive answer on hard drive limits?

shopdog at mac.com shopdog at mac.com
Tue Aug 26 11:00:19 PDT 2008

All:

This email chain has been very helpful for me.

I have a PowerMac G4 AGP Graphics / Sawtooth machine.

Without PCI cards or firmware modifications, etc. as have been
discussed in these emails, what happens to the data on a 500GB hard
drive if I install the drive into the machine?

Does the Mac see none of the data?

Does the Mac see some of the data but not all?

Would the data be erased?

Would the data be erased if I tried to read data from it?

Would the data be erased if I try to save any additional data to it?

If I remove the drive and place it back into a system that can read
the full 500GB, will the data still be there?

If I install OS9 and OSX on a smaller drive (128GB), and then apply,
for example, the firmware modification, and use the 500GB drive for OS
X, what happens when I boot into OS 9?  Would the OS9 system not see
the 500GB drive, not see the data on it (i.e., would the drive appear
blank), or ruin the data on it?

Sorry for so many questions, but answers to any of these may help me
determine what to do with my current setup.

Thanks in advance.

shopdog