[G4] The definitive answer on hard drive limits?

Luke Rademacher lz4broc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 11:28:08 PDT 2008

If the 500GB HD is attempted to be installed into a G4 without LDS is
Large Drive Support (over 128GB) then the Drive could be a) not
readable or mountable b) seen but only 128GB of it.

When I tried to put a 250GB HD into my old BWG3 no matter what I did,
the OSX and OS9 would not see more than 128GB. I was lucky thought
the HD had no data on it. BEcause... The Drive Utility Will want to
Format that puppy.

My best idea for you with a 500GB HD that has Data on it now...

get an updated PCI ATA controller card and put it in your G4 machine.
I've seen em for less than $50 in some spots. Is your DATA worth $50
to you? I'd say it probably is.

 From my experience the Mac will not see the Data on the 500GB.

Where did the Drive come from? Another Mac that had OSX? some Windows
OS box? Another Mac with OS9?

the 500GB HD will not be seen by a Machine with OS9 Unless the 500GB
HD had been formatted with OS9 driver.

On My MDD Dual G4 I have the Option of formatting a HD with our
without OS9 driver. If I choose not to do the OS9 driver then the HD
can only be used and seen in an OSX Mac.

I cannot tell you the DEFINITIVE answer. I can only tell you based
upon my experience and prior use.

I advise you to Seek more Info from other Mac Sages, Gurus, etc and
ask them as well. I like to sometimes check out www.xlr8yourmac.com,
the big kahuna who runs that sight has a plethora of info from old
Macs to new and even has a few nice databases where you can check out
other users posted test results of HD upgrades, DVD/CD, Processor, etc.

Peace,

Luke Rademacher
Liquid Zone Graphics
Mac mini 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 80GB HD, Combo DVD/CDRW,
Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.4, ext NewerTech miniStack w/ 320GB HD.
MDD Dual 1.25Ghz G4, 2GB RAM, 250GB/120GB/80GB HD's, 16x DL DVD±R/RW
Superdrive, Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.11, Classic Mac OS 9.2.2.
Intel Celeron 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Ubuntu Linux 8.04
5.5th gen 80GB Enhanced Video iPod
Canon CanoScan 8400F
Canon Pixma iP450