[G4] sata drives - Partition

Luke Rademacher lz4broc at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 11:57:04 PST 2008

Back in the day, Partitioning was of value as most HD maintenance
utilities had issues with large volumes and some computers did not
handle Volumes larger than 128GB. In this day and age, most OS's have
no problem with large Volumes, and most Maintenance apps are smart
enough to deal with defragging or fixing large volumes. Also Once
upon a Time, You could make the Computer Use more of the HD when you
partitioned the HD into smaller blocks. Its Common knowledge that the
HD Capacity of the HD is Not the Actual Size... 250GB is never gonna
be 250GB no matter how you format it, its always gonna be around 211
or 212GB. BEcause of the OS uses a top portion of the Drive for its
own use.

Also, all the Drive manufacturers label their drives as Gigabit
instead of the common Gigabyte. 250Gb is not 250GB but most people
don't understand it. So your 750GB no matter how its formatted will
never be a total of 750GB. But thats just how it is, and if you don't
accept it then you will be always mad.

A few other schemes exist for partitioning large volumes such as
having a Large volume be partitioned for use by multiple OS's for a
Dual or even Triple Boot system. But the simple matter is pretty much
all modern computers and their counterpart OS's have no problems with
large volumes.

For example my wife has a 250GB HD in her Windows box. Its
partitioned into 2 volumes 125GB each so she has Windows XP on one
volume and Windows 98SE on the other volume, her's is a Dual boot
system so she can use some older programs in the OS it prefers.

A client of mine has his Mac Pro's main HD a 500GB partitioned into 2
drives, one for Mac OSX 10.5 and the other for Ubuntu Linux 8.10
setup as a Dual Boot system so he can make the most of both worlds.

Other reasons could be maybe your new 750GB You'd like to have in
different volumes for your Data, perhaps Three 250GB volumes for
Music, Movies, and Photos.

And some people just leave their drives intact so they have One big
Volume for Video Files etc.

Peace,

Luke Rademacher
Liquid Zone Graphics
Mac mini 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 80GB HD, Combo DVD/CDRW,
Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5, ext NewerTech miniStack w/ 320GB HD.
MDD Dual 1.25Ghz G4, 2GB RAM, 250GB/120GB/80GB HD's, 16x DL DVD±R/RW
Superdrive, Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.11, Classic Mac OS 9.2.2.
External 1TB HD FireWire 400
Intel Celeron 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Ubuntu Linux 8.04
5.5th gen 80GB Enhanced Video iPod
Canon CanoScan 8400F
Canon Pixma iP4500