[G4] Need advice for a fixer-upper

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Sun Jan 6 12:54:39 PST 2008

Am Jan 6, 2008 um 11:35 AM schrieb John Niven:

> Download open-office for free. Make sure you have X11
> installed (it's optional).
>
> Do you need wireless? Get an original Airport card.
> Not the fastest, but they work well. Wired is always
> faster though.
>
> Lastly look for a dual 450 or 500 Apple processor. You
> can only go to a dual processor if your mother board
> can handle it. OSX can really use two processors
> (unlike OS 9).
>
> Mostly what I recommend is about the user experience,
> which is what LEM Macs are all about.
>
> Good luck,
>
> John

Or there's Neo Office, also free and does not need X11.

And lookint at macsales.com, that system can accept a dual CPU
upgrade just like my own 1.6 GHz dual CPU upgrade. If you want that
old Mac to become modern, I recommend that and a graphics card of at
least Radeon 9600-9800 quality. I'm not sure what's available from
nVidia, but they seem much less supportive of Mac than ATI.

With those upgrades and my RAM maxed out at 1.5 GB, this system plays
World of Warcraft really well. It doesn't have the recommended DDR
RAM, but still books. Naturally, more ordinary tasks like video
encoding and what-not are a breeze. I also installed a Samsung DVD/CD
burner that's been great. I had an LG drive before that that had
problems with the drive sleep function in Tiger, so that's why I
mention Samsung by name.

Eric