[G4] Re: Need advice for a fixer-upper

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sun Jan 6 09:12:19 PST 2008

Kevin:

You are asking all the right questions and you can have a lot of fun,
like in finding a new hobby to play with.  But before spending any
money, please take a look at the specs and cost of a brand new Apple
Mac-Mini, or even a refurbished one, or a used one.  To upgrade your
tower, you can easily spend close to the cost of a new Mini.  You might
want to set a dollar limit, say something like $200 or $300 for
software and hardware.  For general info, look at

http://www.lowendmac.com/index.shtml
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/
http://www.everymac.com/
http://macsales.com/  also known as OWC

My thoughts to your specific questions below.

On Jan 6, 2008, at 11:04 AM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 9
> Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 08:04:22 -0800 (PST)
> From: Kevin Walsh <walsh_kevin_t at yahoo.com>

> This past summer, I acquired a G4 tower from a windows
> junkie.

>   The ATA drive is
> only 10 GB and there was only 512 MB of ram.  I've
> been stepping up the memory, currently at 896 MB,

Good for 10.4.  For 10.5, better to have at least 1 GB.  $50 - $100.
> and
> have been supplementing the lack of hard drive space
> with an external firewire drive.  I'm about to tack
> the major necessary steps to enhance the computer's
> performance and would like some feedback for any of
> you experts.  Below are the upgrades I'm looking into
> and i would like to know "could I", "should I", and if
> so "how do I" on each issue.  First the specs: Power
> Mac G4, AGP Graphics (Sawtooth, I think) / 1 CPU,
> type: 2.9, 400 MHz / firmware 4.2.8f1 / AGP: Rage
> 128Pro / OS X 10.3.9
>
> New internal ATA drive - I think something around 40
> gigs is adequate for me.  I'm considering keeping the
> 10 GB drive in there (why not) but loading the OS on
> the new larger drive.

Any new drive is likely to give you more.  $70?  But if you say that 40
GB is enough, that suggests you do not have a lot of video or music
processing to do, which further suggests that running 10.4 might be a
reasonable target.  Why go for 10.5 on this old machine?

> Second Processor - is it possible to add another
> rather than replacing it, what could work?

Second processor will not go on the existing motherboard.  Replacing
processor has options.  Look at various vendors, including OWC.  Maybe
$100 - $200.

> New video card - or is the one in there fine?

There are a couple features in OS 10.4 and 10.5 which will not work
with the old card.  But not critical for most people.

> OS upgrade - with the proper upgrades, could 10.4 or
> even 10.5 be installed?

10.4 will be happy.  I don't know if you can bump that machine up to
the minimum requirements for 10.5.  With a hack or two, you can run
10.5 below Apple's "minimum requirements."  Oh, Another $50 or $80 here
too.

Al Poulin