[G4] USB 2 Communications Problem

Thomas Brooks mos125 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 8 07:44:32 PST 2008

Brand new iMage Webcam installed 1/4/08 on 1.2 GHz PowerPC G4 with
1.75 GB Ram.

Frame rate about 3 per minute, pictures but not video more like a
series of camera shots. Have high speed cable modem with Comcast. Have
separate USB 2.0 PCI card installed

Tried running Running iMage Tester their own software and all checks
OK. Same thing happens with Yahoo Messenger and iChat.

Also loaded maccam driver and got error message <USB 2 Communications
Problem>.

In all software my USB 2 is recognized and I can also run Plextor
PX-708UF2 external DVD and Firewire/USB 2 250GB external Hard Drive.

I have disconnected everything on USB except Macally ICEKey Keyboard,
Orbit Optical TrackBall and Bluetooth all of which are on a different
USB 1  card.

On occasion if I try to hot plug the camera it cannot be recognized
unless I restart the G4.

The iMage support, of course, thinks it is my problem and has offered
no help other than to check firmware( I have latest) and suggest I
disconnect USB peripherals.

Any suggestions on how to look for other hardware conflicts or how to
trouble shoot the USB 2 card and connections? Everything shows
correctly on About This Mac.

Thanks!

Tom Brooks

I have atttached the log