[G4] Sleep or leave running?

Keith Whaley keith_w at dslextreme.com
Wed Jan 9 11:47:25 PST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Eric Wood wrote:

> Am Jan 8, 2008 um 5:47 PM schrieb Pat Crowe:
>
>> I visit my G4QS 2002 many times during the day and between times I
>> put it to sleep.
>> The question is, would it be more beneficial to the computer to
>> just leave it run?
>> PatC.
>>

> There is nothing wrong with sleep. It will help preserve your
> hardware, I should think, since some of it, such as hard drives,
> will get a respite. And you'll be conserving power, which is always
> good. That light bulb theory that turning a computer on is somehow
> detrimental is just logical, yet incorrect thinking. Computers
> aren't light bulbs.
>
> Eric

However, if you don't mind my interruption, any electronic components
that draw power heat up and expand when turned on, and cool down and
contract when shut off.

I guess it's entirely possible today's far more sophisticated
manufacturing engineering designers have provided comfortably for
that heat/cool cycle life. Many of 'yesterday's' components didn't
cycle all that well...

keith whaley