[G4] Sleep or leave running?

leestate at sbcglobal.net leestate at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 9 12:25:20 PST 2008

I seem to remember a "word" from "Apple" a few
years ago,, to the effect that hard drives "wear"
most, in the sense of becoming more liable to
failure, in the surging of power, mostly, from a
cold start, next, from a restart, last (but not
least), waking from sleep.

Accordingly, "Apple" recommended to be
"witholding" about putting to sleep - (so as to
avoid myriad "wake-ups), and not even to shut
down unless eight hours (or so) defined the
period before restart.

For what it's worth, with four drives, (two in a
type raid array, two ATA additional drives, in a
vintage (2001) G4 DP500 Dual, Gigabit Ethernet,
(Tiger), I put this machine to sleep literally
"at will", whenever I'm going to leave it for,
say, an hour or more...and have been doing this
several times a day, since...September of...2001!
( I hate to hear "everything 'spinning'", all the
"whoosh!)

Of course...I know...I've been exceedingly
fortunate with this machine, (my favorite amongst
another of same vintage, and a fairly new G5
(2.3).

Steve L