[G4] RE: SLEEP???????????????

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 20:00:02 PST 2008

Chris!

I don't want to alarm you but leaving your computer on
all the time has caused your shift key to
malfunction!!!

:-)

Personally I think you are singlehandedly responsible
for the Global Warming situation.

Next you will be going to 1W single-ended triode amps
with huge bulb-like glowing tubes! Did you put green
felt-pen on the edge of you cd's? Ha!

The ones I fell for where:

1) loudspeaker cables effect the sound.
2) you can hear the difference between turntables.

Both of these (as far as I'm concerned) are true :-)

I still have LP's.

So to get serious, although amplifiers are analogue
circuits, the semiconductors are still made the same
way. They do tend to have huge bulk capacitors which
maybe better left turned on, but I think it's all
hooeey.

I'd advise you to swap out that 40Gb for something
more modern, or at least get an external firewire
drive and makes backups. Use Carbon Copy Cloner.

CRT monitors are big bulbs, they need to be in
standby.
LCD monitors also have a lamp so should be in standby.

As I said before, if you are really into the idea of
keeping you Mac going, consider buying a spare power
supply before they are all gone to the landfill. It's
the part that's most likely to go bad.

John

--- "YOUR FRIEND, CHRIS" <august.ham at verizon.net>