[G4] RE: SLEEP???????????????

YOUR FRIEND, CHRIS august.ham at verizon.net
Wed Jan 9 18:01:12 PST 2008

hi guys -

issue one {as john mcloughlin sez}, and please don't laugh; how do i
respond to a specific post? i'm using mac mail and  when i clicked on
"message-ID" to reply, i get a new compose window - but nothing in
the subject line, so i sent a new submission. please advise!

this subject is timely as i was just going to pose a similar
question. i am writing this on my g4 450dp gigabit ethernet that i
purchased new almost eight years ago to the day. still has the
original bto "large" 40gb hard drive.
for over five years, i always had it set up to go to sleep as much as
possible, along with the display. {apple studio 17" crt; the clear
case one. the one i'm using now!}

about three years ago, i started reading more and more that what
specifically wears out hard drives the most is the initial spinning
up to speed, whether from sleep or to power up. ever since then i've
been leaving my machine on virtually 24 hours a day, unless i'll be
gone for more than 24 hours. {display goes to sleep in 15 minutes
however}.
i've also encountered opinions stating that the heating and cooling
cycles of going to and waking from sleep is detrimental to the
overall computer itself.

now, if you've read any of my past posts {all in the form of
questions} you KNOW i don't know a damn thing about computers!

but i do know a bit about high end stereo equipment, of which i'm
fortunate enough to own a few components. when i bought my first
{solid state} hi end components in 1985, i was advised to leave them
on ALL the time to protect the internal components of the units from
premature degradation and or failure due to heating and cooling
cycles - not to mention obscene repair costs.

SO - for all intents and purposes my power amp, pre amp and tuner
have NEVER been shut off since their purchase in 1985, unless i was
leaving for more than 48 hours.

i am listening to them as i write this {lowell fulson!}.
they are still ALL original - not even a second of down time in over
twenty years!  additionally, i've owned and played with a bunch of
other high end components over the years and treated them exactly the
same - without even one failure; unless having my pitbull knock over
a bottle of porter into the guts of a tuner counts.   ;-)   but that
wasn't the one i got in 1985 which is still perfect....

suffice to say, tube audio equipment is an entirely different
situation, but as far as i know, computers haven't had tubes since
about the year of my birth; 1954.

does anyone have any opinions as to the above experiences as to how
they apply to computers?

thanks for "listening"

chris in ny