[G4] Options for adding disk space to Power Mac G4?

Tony Gamble braincellmultimedia at rogers.com
Tue Jan 15 17:49:04 PST 2008

Absolutely right... I stand corrected.  The Sawtooth can indeed boot
from its onboard USB... which from what I gathered at the Apple site
was only USB 1.1... a paltry 12 Mbps.  Not terribly practical for
booting a full OS, and I'm not certain that bootability would spill
over onto an add-in 2.0 card.  And yes, the ATA/66 interface is
definitely faster than FW400, though real life comparison would show
negligible difference.  Firewire 400 will definitely outperform the
480 Mbps-rated USB 2.0 for a couple of reasons; one, the Firewire
controller does all its own work, not relying on the CPU; and two, any
single device on the USB chain is limited to two thirds of the maximum
bandwidth.

Thank you for pointing out my errors... it gave me to initiative to go
out on the web and correct my preconceived and erroneous notions.

Tony