[G4] Much Ado About Harddrives

Doug Burton slugg0 at embarqmail.com
Wed Jan 16 17:15:19 PST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 6:24 PM, Tony Gamble wrote:

> It'll be perfectly compatible... provided you also install a SATA
> card to run it, such as this one:
>
> http://eshop.macsales.com/item/SIIG/SCSATM12/
>
> Once everything is plugged in, open up Disk Utility and format the
> drive with the Mac OS Extended file system.
>

> Tony

<SNIP>

I just checked OWC's website dealing with SATA cards and I don't see
one that will support 4 drives.  Do they make one for the Mac that
will support 4 drives?  If I upgrade my DA file server to SATA as I
have been planning to do, I need one that will support 4 large SATA
drives.  Right now I have 4 IDE drives running off an Acard Ultra 133
ATA PCI card which supports 4 drives.  Besides the cable mess the
Acard won't support Ultra ATA speeds and that was the main reason I
upgraded my server to a DA.

Just a message from Doug...