[G4] upgrade or buy new mac?

Brian Deuel fusekigames at briandeuel.com
Wed Jan 30 12:46:09 PST 2008

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:40:50 -0500, "Richard Klein" <richspk at gmail.com>
said:
> I'd take the middle road.  Don't upgrade the DP500, and don't buy a new
> Mac.
> Instead, pick up a lightly used MDD.  You can probably get one for
> roughly
> the same price as a Mini, it'll come with a faster processor, fast enough
> for everything except the latest iMovie, and it'll have a faster bus, to
> boot.

I would second this. I bought a Sonnett 1.8ghz single processor upgrade
($289 shipped) for my DP500, and although it's definitely speedier than
the original processor card, the bus speed (100mhz) hobbles it a bit
when running processor-intensive tasks and HD video. Grab a MDD with the
167mhz bus. I had a MDD dual 1.25ghz that burned up a while ago, but it
was definitely a nice speedy machine until the processor card gave out.

Brian
----
Brian Deuel
BrianDeuelDotCom