[G4] Hacked Router

Richard Klein richspk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 09:07:36 PST 2008

It seems unlikely that they would've gained access to his Powerbook in
addition to the router, but there's a lot I don't know about hacking.

Did he change the username and password on his router from the factory
default?  The factory defaults are very easy to guess.  If he *did* change
the username and password, but the router still got hacked, then the hacker
probably may know something about your son that helped him guess what the
username and password might be.  In that case, I'd think it a little more
likely that he was able to gain access to the Powerbook.

After the hacker gained access to the router, it's possible, though not
terribly likely, that they monitored any internet traffic going through the
router.  In that case, they may have been able to capture any usernames and
passwords that your son typed into a web page while the router was
compromised.

I would reset the router to factory defaults and immediately go into it's
setup screens and change the username and password to something different
than before.  Then I'd go through all my website accounts and change all the
passwords.

After that, just pay attention to his accounts and keep an eye out for any
signs that someone else may be using them.

--
Rich