[G4] Mac Network#@

Chaim The Squirrel Keeper richspk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 14:06:35 PST 2008

I have my Mac plugged into a gigabit switch, and then the switch is
plugged into a router, which is plugged into my DSL modem.  I use the
switch and the router because I need a router to direct packets from
the internet to the right computer (a switch doesn't do that) and I
couldn't find any gigabit routers at a reasonable price.  The gigabit
switch lets me transfer packets inside my apartment at full speed, but
doesn't do a thing for my internet connection.

As far as set-up on the Mac, I don't remember doing anything.  As long
as the router acts as a DHCP server (which means the router assigns
each computer an address automatically, and which is usually the
default), then the Macs should just work when you plug in all the
network cables.

--
Rich