[G4] Mac Network#@

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sat Mar 1 14:47:56 PST 2008

Rich:

Sorry, not a short answer, but here is a summary.

I'm a little perplexed about the G5 having 10.1.  I believe, according
to lowendmac.com, that the machine came with 10.2 Jaguar.  There are
chapters in books describing how to do what you want.  In David Pogue's
series of books, "Mac OS X The Missing Manual," one for each version of
OS X, there are a number of ways described for doing what you want to
do.  But in your Finder Help, and at Apple's web site, you can get the
basic info that you need.  Key words include File Sharing, Printer
Sharing, and Public Folder.  In one method basically, with File Sharing
enabled on each Mac, you copy files into your Public Folder on one
computer and then go fetch them from there with the other computer.
With photos, if you use the iPhoto application on each Mac, there are
ways to keep albums (or events in Leopard) intact.  Also look for
FireWire Disk Mode or Target Disk Mode which uses a FireWire cable
between two Macs instead of Ethernet Cat 5.

I hope this helps you peel the onion in this business.

Al Poulin