[G4] Wanted - MDD FW 400 system install disks

Bruce Ryan Nakamura galilao at lava.net
Mon Mar 3 00:12:08 PST 2008

Kathi Anderson wrote:

>> I recently acquired a G4 Mirror Door Drive 1.25 GHz DP tower (the
>> FireWire 400 model), without the original system disks. I still use OS
>> 9 (the real one, not Classic), and as I'm sure you all know, I cannot
>> get OS 9 onto this machine without the original disks. So if someone
>> has a set of these disks that they no longer need, I would be happy to
>> purchase these from you.
>>

> What OSX is loaded on this MDD?  I also have a pair of G4 MDD Firewire
> 400 Macs with 10.3 on them.  So far as I can tell, once a MDD has 10.3
> or higher on it, it loses the ability to read the genuine Apple MDD OS
> CD's.  In other words, both of my MDD's cannot load from the original
> genuine Apple MDD CD's that came packaged with one of my MDDs.  I think
> the firmware gets modified.  When I put the original Apple MDD CD into
> the DVD drive, my MDDs don't even recognize that there is an Apple OS CD
> in the drive.  My understanding is that the CD's have a certain revision
> number on them and if the revision number is not compatible with the
> current firmware, the MDD won't even recognize that there is an Apple OS
> CD in the drive.  The local Apple store didn't know this and I spent
> hundreds of dollars replacing parts that didn't need to be changed,
> before we all realized what the problem was.
>
> In other words if you get a set of genuine original G4 MDD CD's it won't
> load unless somebody else knows something I don't.  I have also found
> that trying to go down from 10.3 to 10.2 won't solve the problem,
> because it seems that once the firmware gets upgraded, it won't come
> back down.
>
> However, if you can get a genuine set of Apple G4 MDD OS DVD's , that
> might work, but I don't guarantee it.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Hello, all...
> As I recall from a recent thread about installing OS9, the only way to go
> back to a previous OS, is to wipe the drive clean. My experience with
> installing OS9 is that I was able to install it OK on my Digital Audio with
> Panther, but was unable to install it on my MDD, 1.25Mhz that had Tiger.
> So to sum up, you do not need the original disks to install OS9. You just
> need the correct version of OS9 for the machine. 9.1 did not work for me. I
> had to find a 9.2 version of OS9 on ebay.

Hello Kathy,

I tried wiping the drive clean on my MDD, but it still wouldn't see that
a Mac OS X MDD CD was in the drive.  If I recall correctly when I put a
non OS X CD in the drive, the CD image would mount on the desktop.  The
same MDD did see my Mac OS X MDD DVD in the drive and that is how I
loaded native OS 9 and X on my MDD.  What version of 9.2 did you find on
Ebay?

Cordially,

Bruce Ryan Nakamura