[G4] QS powers down

B G briang113 at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 4 10:00:52 PST 2008

I found this on a discussion board it might help.

It sounds like it is not a hardware but a software issue.

I would contact Focusrite directly.

BG

The Saffire Inputs and outputs will e listed in Audio MIDI setup with
no input/output controls this is because Saffire LE control allows you
to set these settings.

It has been brought to our attention recently that there is a bug in
OSX Leopard that will cause kernel panics if a firewire audio
interface is switched on/connected, after a certain amount of memory
has been allocated, or if the sample rate of an already active
interface is changed when the same amount of memory has been
allocated, this kernel panic will also occur. This issue has been
reported to Apple and will hopefully be addressed in a future update
to OSX.

It sounds like this may be what is causing the problems you are
experiencing in Logic. If you connect the Saffire LE just after you
have booted the Mac (with no other applications open) then make sure
that the sample rate of the Saffire is set to the same in logic, to
avoid any sample rate changes.

If you reboot the Mac, then try playing back audio from an application
such as iTunes can you get playback from the Saffire?

Best regards,

Mick Gilbert
Focusrite
Brian