[G4] Re: G4 power down

Roxylee roxylee at frontiernet.net
Wed Mar 5 08:43:03 PST 2008

Thank you for all your suggestions.  Nothing I tried made a
difference, so I contacted the tech, and got this back just now:

"It sounds as though your computer is for some reason unable to
provide the Saffire LE with the power it requires when it is booting
up, and as a result is shutting the computer down.  The easiest way
to get around this is to purchase a 6-to-4-pin adaptor and a 4-to-6-
pin FireWire cable, severing the power connection between your Mac
and the Saffire LE.  The disadvantage of this is that you will need
to use the PSU with your Saffire LE.  If you would like to
investigate further, it would be worth trying your Saffire LE on
another computer (with a 6-pin FireWire port) and seeing if you get
the same problem."

I tried it with another computer and it was fine, so I'll try the
adaptors next. I have no idea what would cause my G4 to suddenly not
have enough power for the audio interface.
Does anyone know why this could be? Thanks very much for your insights.