[G4] firmware: update needed?

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 16:14:09 PDT 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 2:18 PM, Eric Smith wrote:

> * One way to run Leopard on an under-spec'd system would be to
> install it
> on a conforming system and then simply move the disk to another
> machine.

There is one thing drastically wrong with this approach.

When you do the install on the first machine, the installer puts in
portions of the software that are specific to THAT machine. If you
move the hard drive with that installed software to another machine,
you may not have all the portions that the second machine needs and
you may have portions that are only applicable to the first machine.

In other words, you take a chance on getting the proper software
installed to run the second machine properly. You may win, and you may
lose, it's up to chance on that.

My recommendation is to use a Firewire connection and start the older
machine in Target Mode, do the installation and select the older hard
drive as the destination of the installation. I did this with a 633MHz
G4 and Leopard runs as well as I can ask it to.

YMMV, good luck.