[G4] firmware: update needed?

Karen H piddlepot at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 12 19:06:24 PDT 2008

Ok -- these exchanges have made me realise I should at least attempt to get Leopard onto my G5 GigE (450, dual). I begged a little more RAM today, so now I have 896 MB (with a 30GB hard drive).

My plan A is to acquire a retail copy of the install disks (not system disks) for Leopard and use LeopardAssist for the automated firmware hack to bypass the installation processor requirements.

A follow-up question to the point that install disks won't work for computers types that they don't conform to. Is this the case as well for a target-mode based installation? [Does my ability to go with leopard 100% depend on getting a retail rather than system install disks?] It sounds like yes...just trying confirm that I don't have a Plan B option of using Target mode to install using system disks from an intel 2.4GHz imac. Perhaps systems disks, by definition, don't let you target another computer than the one they're running on? (Sorry, this is no doubt an extremely basic question -- I'm absorbing as quickly as I can and it's not the sort of question Apple support is likely to answer. heh).

Thanks all, for those contributing to the informative thread.

-Karen