[G4] firmware: update needed?

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 21:41:59 PDT 2008

On 12 Mar, 2008, at 7:55 PM, Karen H wrote:

> There's an intel imac at my place, running 10.4 (with the disks that
> shipped with it). There are two disks, labelled "install disk 1" and
> "install disk 2." I'm assured these are the only disks it came with.
> (so no restore disks).
>
> I just tried using these disks (even though there are 2 of them, not
> 1) to install on my G4 GigE computer (which is running 10.3.9)

The answer to your problem is in your posting.

You tried to use an Intel chip installation disc on a Power PC
machine. It won't work at all. The result was the Kernel Panic that
you saw on the screen.

from. It could cost you some dollars, but the end result will be worth
the expense. OS 10.4 will give you better performance and capabilities
than 10.3 did.