[G4] Gifted with a G4/500

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu May 1 12:33:54 PDT 2008

On 30 Apr, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Michael Koch wrote:

> The computer was on a network(ether net)
> when the monitor was removed; the computer
> never completed start up; if it had it would have shown
> up on network. When monitor was reconnected
> computer completed start up and was on network.
> Only the mac servers will work without a monitor as far as I know.
> correct  me if I am wrong ( do not know about intel mac's)

I haven't played around with any Mac Servers, but I have experienced
starting up G4 towers, G3 towers and desktops, older PowerPC Macs, and
even Quadra series Mac without any monitor attached during startup.
They all started up and ran (as well as they were going to run) and
were able to recognize the monitor when I attached it later.

I have also used a KVM box during the startup of multiple machines and
they all started up without any problems and were visible on the
monitor when I selected their input port on the KVM box.

Just my personal experience, nothing more.