[G4] Left-over Parts

Robert C. Buitron rcbuitron at speakeasy.net
Fri May 9 20:21:33 PDT 2008

Amir 'CG' Caspi wrote:
> Speaking of leftover parts...
>
> 	I've got a DP500 that I'd like to turn into a media server.  It
> already is one, of sorts, running SlimServer and serving music off an
> external HD.  However, I'd like to build it into a true server with
> internal drives.
> 	Does anyone happen to have a SATA (preferably) or IDE (otherwise)
> PCI (33MHz) card that would work in this machine, and can support 4 500GB
> drives?  (I'll use OS X to run RAID-1+0 in software.)
> 	I'm also looking for a video card that can drive a 21" Dell
> monitor at its native resolution through DVI or ADC... that means an ATI
> Radeon 8000 or higher.  (The OEM Rage128 Pro can only drive the monitor at
> its native resolution through VGA; through DVI, it maxes out at 1024x768.)
> 	Finally, I currently have 640MB of RAM in here but would love to
> beef it up to a gig or higher.
>
> If anyone has a SATA or IDE/ATA card, video card, and/or RAM (compatible
> with the DP500, of course) that they no longer need and would be willing
> to part with, please let me know.  I'm happy to buy them from you although
> since I'm a graduate student with rather limited income (otherwise I
> wouldn't still be using an 8-year-old machine), the amount I can afford to
> spend isn't very high.

I have a couple of items that may fit your request:

ACard – AEC6280M, PCI Ultra ATA/133 IDE Adaptor/Controller card. Extends
GB capacity beyond 120GB in G4s. With Manual, Support CD, IDE Cable,
Y-split Power cord, Screw x4, Hard disk mounting kit. I still have the
original box.

I used this card on a G4 MDD, 1.25GHz, OS10.4.x and 10.5.x, two 300GB
HDs without a problem.

RAM from Crucial, 512MB, 168-pin DIMM, 64M x 64 SDRAM  PC133 non parity
for MAC G4 Quicksilver 2002 dual processor.

IDE cable connectors: 24 inch Ultra ATA IDE ribbon cable, 3 connector
(80 pin) and 20 inch Ultra ATA IDE ribbon cable, 3 connector (80 pin).

Feel free to contact me off line if interested. All items have been used
and work. Reasonable.

Rob