[G4] G4 upgrades

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 12:39:35 PDT 2008

I think it's harder than that. First the physical configuration: I had to do a lot of mods to get a QS 733MHz cpu to work in a Sawtooth. Remove the DVD/zip ata connector for one, hack the heatsink in half for seconds. Then there is the bus speeds: I had to desolder and resolder the multiplier links so my cpu is now running at 800MHz on a 100MHz bus.

Even if you get a cheap barebones MDD, you will still want more drives, and more ram, and better video card and ....
I'm sure there are easier approaches. Have you considered a Mac mini? :-)

I'm all for keep old equipment going but unless it's a hobby be careful how you spend your cash...

John