[G4] G4 upgrades

John Niven senseamp at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 06:37:36 PDT 2008

Hi Tony,

I'm also interested in music production on the cheap. I actually have a dual 450Mhz G4 also that I use with a Digidesign Audiomedia III sound card and ProTools.

I started with a Audiomedia II NUBUS card in a Quadra 950 :-) which I still have. It's stuffed with SCSI drives and performs very well (33MHz 68040!). I think that card has great analogue electronics. I used that system mostly for digitising LP's.

I bought the AM3 pci card on eBay and really built my current system around that. I have to use Panther and ProTools 6 (point something) because at some point Digidesign stopped supporting the AM3. So it's a kind of balancing act to use the latest s/w and os that one can get away with. If this is relevant then I can get you all the details latter.

I also use an ATTO UL3S SCSI card (because it's qualified for use with ProTools by Digidesign) and a couple of fast SCSI drives. I think this helps speed up the system by reducing the load on the cpu's.

I have an upgraded (flashed PC) video card so I can run dual 17" LCD monitors. The extra desktop area really helps when running ProTools. A couple of second-hand LCD doesn't cost that much but IMHO is a much better investment than the typical cpu upgrade.

For straight sound recording and midi sequencing (which is what I do) I don't think you need as much horsepower as video applications (for example). However if you want to also use software synthesizers  and complex effects then that changes. I have started using Ableton Live, since I have found ProTools to lack creatively and am having trouble with that.

Sadly this has coincided with my having to confiscate my sons gaming PC from him (it's a long story). So instead of wondering where I can get the money for a MacBook pro, I have re-housed it in a 4U rack case and put a second AM3 in it. It is now running Live through the AM3. With an Core duo 2 cpu, 2Gb ram, NV 7900GS graphics card and dual SATA drives it's very fast! So after years of being a Mac fan I find myself now using a PC :-( Windows XP really sucks when you don't know what you are doing.

However, I'm ONLY using that PC for this one application, so maybe I will keep my sanity that way.

So what is your sound card? That seems to be the only thing that can't be done with a Mac-mini :-) The modern approach is to use a usb or firewire connected audio interface which the mini could handle. The G4's 1.5Gb ram will not be usable in a MDD.

John