[G4] G4 upgrades

Tony Sheeley t_sheeley at hotmail.com
Thu May 15 02:14:12 PDT 2008

> From: senseamp at yahoo.com> Subject: RE: [G4] G4 upgrades> To: g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com> > Hi Tony,Hello John > So what is your sound card? I use an M-Audio Delta-1010.

>The G4's 1.5Gb ram will not be usable in a MDD.Why won't the memory be usable here? > I also use an ATTO UL3S SCSI card
Tell me more about this?  I just purchased a scsi card off ebay, as I would like to use Recycle with my hardware sampler. I don't know if I can, but I'd like to give it a try. > I have an upgraded (flashed PC) video card so I can run dual 17" LCD monitors.I'm looking into this same thing.  I've seen a few fairly cheap on ebay.  I've also seen one, (I can't remember the model right now) that is carried by PCWorld, that is supposed to be able to be flashed.  I'm going to at least look into this.   > For straight sound recording and midi sequencing (which is what I do) I don't think you need as much >horsepower as video applications (for example). This is pretty much what I do, but I am now venturing into soft synth/effects.  I mainly work in midi(hardware), but also record vocals.  For the stuff I do, I'm looking at using software for timestretching/pitchshifting harmonies etc..  This can take a bit of horsepower. >I find myself now using a PC :-( Windows XP really sucks when you don't know what you are doing. I've been a die-hard PC user for many, many years.  XP sucks even when you do know what you are doing.  Vista is worse.I picked up the Dual 450 really cheap a while back, and was hoping to be able to slowly upgrade it into something which could be of 'real' use.  But my research says I won't be able to.  So, now I'm looking to see if there is another old workhorse that can be upgraded without breaking the bank.  Especially as everybody seems to have jumped on the G5 / Intell bandwagon. Tony