[G4] G4 upgrades

Perry Mitchell perry.mitchell at gmail.com
Wed May 14 01:08:03 PDT 2008

I upgraded mine with a PowerLogix twin proc 1.2GHz board. It was a straight
swap and doesn't need any fancy drivers. It was sold at around $200 as a
clear-out but you may be able to find it on E-bay. I wanted to be able to
run FCP6 and I have lots of extras in this chassis so for me it was worth
it.
The bigger problem is finding a video card that will run 'Core Graphics',
especially if you want the Apple ADC interface. You need to trust a vendor
who mods existing boards. The basic problem is that your DP450 only has the
original AGP slot, and the 'Core Graphic' supporting boards need 2x or 4x.
Other upgrades are mundane - you can add 2 extra HDD (160GB max each) with
existing hardware and any modern DVD drive will fit and work.

Ironically (for me) I had just finished upgrading (finally getting a video
card from Hong Kong) when I was given a working MDD G4!
FWIW
Perry Mitchell

From: Tony Sheeley

I have an old G4 Dual 450 which I have been trying to upgrade, but I'm
finding too expensive for my budget.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG.
06:01