[G4] Hard Drive questions...

Chaim The Squirrel Keeper richspk at gmail.com
Mon May 26 16:59:26 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Rick <r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> This one is for Al Poulin... or anyone else who might want to chime in...
>
> I've got a QS 2002 more or less load. It's got two to GB Hard drive and a
> 120 GB external Hard Drive driven by USB and built by Western Digital and
> serving as my TM more or less.
>
> The first drive is all but max out and the second drive is a intermediate
> back up / storage drive.
>
> I was thinking out upgrading my first drive to something around 320 TO 500
> GB USED... Seniors usually have limited funds to spend on new hard drives.
> The question is do I stay with the current formate ATA Bus or jump up to a
>  SATA DRIVE AND CARD which mean a STATA Card and what else? Also what kind
> of  SATA? And what do I get out of such a upgrade?

Personally, I'd stick with ATA.  It's fast enough for me, and, because
you have a QS 2002, you don't have that 120-ish GB size limit on
drives.  Also, I'd be surprised if getting a used drive actually saves
you any significant amount of money over buying new.  At least check
prices on new drives before you buy used.

You will want a USB2.0 card in there at some point, though.  That
boosts theoretical USB throughput from 12Mbps to 400Mbps.

--
Rich