[G4] Hard Drive questions...

Eric Smith eric-s-smith at comcast.net
Mon May 26 19:36:34 PDT 2008

Hi Rick,

In my opinion you would get much better disk performance if
you went to a SATA drive with 3 Gb/s transfer rate. This is
often referred to as "SATA 2" or "SATA II" but that is actually
a misnomer. It is the same spec as the original SATA drives,
the only difference being double the transfer rate.

If I am correct, the QS 2002 uses UltraATA/66, meaning a 66 MB/s
transfer rate. Since SATA uses 8b10b encoding on the wire (i.e.,
each byte is converted to 10-bit code), 3 Gb/s effectively means
a transfer rate of 300 MB/s. Even if the QS 2002 uses ATA/133,
that would still be less than half the transfer rate of "SATA 2".

If you look for "SATA 2" - again that just means 3 Gb/s - make
sure that both the PCI controller card and the drive support the
higher data transfer rate. Having to buy a separate controller
is an extra expense, but in my opinion worth it for the extra speed.

You also definitely want a USB 2.0 card (should be available for cheap)
if you are going to make significant use of USB.

Eric S.