[G4] OS install question

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Thu Nov 6 12:57:27 PST 2008

Am Nov 6, 2008 um 12:03 PM schrieb Margaret Krakowiak:

> Now here's another question, it may be obvious,
> to most but not to me, so I'll ask it.
> I use DSL for my internet connection, it was set up
> when I bought my DP450. Before I pull the plug on
> that machine, I want to make sure that I know what
> I need to do for my new QS. Do I just use the same
> network settings as the 450? Would those work for the QS?
> Do I need to notify my provider, which is ATT,
> and I hate the idea of having to deal with any of
> their tech help, who in the past have never been any
> help to me. Since it's a different machine I'm assuming
> a different machine ID may need to be input somewhere?
> (I looked in MacHelp, but it still wasn't clear to me)
> Or should I just plug my DSL modem into the QS, and
> follow the setup assistant that I'm sure will pop up when
> I install OS10.4.6? (Which, BTW, will ask me if I want to
> register the software - I already did that on my 450, surely
> I don't do it again - I am allowed to install the OS on another
> computer, no? It asked me that when I installed OS10.4.6 on my
> external
> FW drive, and I wasn't sure what to do; I also tried importing my
> network settings from the the 450 to the FW and ran into problems
> and ended up just quitting the assistant!!) So yes, I need advice
> from a clearer head than mine, or I'll screw things up and not be
> able to connect to the internet with either computer, and you'll never
> hear from me again, which may be a blessing to you all...
>
> margaret

My first thought is to duplicate the network configuration of your DP
on the new machine, putting the same addresses in if any, or leaving
it on DHCP if that's what it's doing. With my own DSL modem and ISP,
I have a static address from them to use on any computer or router
that is directly connected to the modem, and I've switched it around
many times actually without a hitch. As long as AT&T isn't looking at
MAC addresses, you should have no trouble either. If they do, I guess
you'll have to grit your teeth and call them to have the new machine
okayed with them.

Best of luck,

Eric W.