[G4] Re: airport question

Luke Rademacher lz4broc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 11:08:16 PST 2008

No the Windtunnel Effect is unique to the MDD at least from My
experience.

For some people its more than annoyance and inventive ways were
created to combat it. I remember one such person who eventually
housed his MDD in a foam lined box to buffer all the noise as his
machine was used in an Audio Recording studio.

For me I got used to it. So much in fact when I got a newer Mac, a
Mac mini in late 2007 I thought many times that the darn thing wasn't
even on cause the one tiny fan made barely any noise at all.

I still use my MDD for almost everything so its not going away. A
power supply replacement courtesy of Apple Pro Care (in early 2007)
cut down the noise somewhat.
And I swapped out the main 120mm Case/CPU fan near the same time for
a lower RPM model. That small project was crazy as I thought every
thing would of been similar, but some wires were different on the one
I pulled form inside my MDD and had to have a buddy break out a
Soldering Gun and redo a connection that I messed up.

When I've visited friends with their Dual G5's the generation of
Tower Macs AFTER the MDD series, the Noise level on those are much
much lower.

I know the BWG3 I used to  use before I got my MDD was never that
loud. I assume Apple was trying new technology as the MDD was a
relatively new idea for Apple in terms of Dual Processor Technology use.

PEace,

Luke Rademacher
Liquid Zone Graphics
Mac mini 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 80GB HD, Combo DVD/CDRW,
Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.5, ext NewerTech miniStack w/ 320GB HD.
MDD Dual 1.25Ghz G4, 2GB RAM, 250GB/120GB/80GB HD's, 16x DL DVD±R/RW
Superdrive, Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.11, Classic Mac OS 9.2.2.
External 1TB HD FireWire 400
Intel Celeron 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Ubuntu Linux 8.04
5.5th gen 80GB Enhanced Video iPod
Canon CanoScan 8400F
Canon Pixma iP4500