[G4] monitor - turn off or sleep?

OBrien bco at hiwaay.net
Fri Oct 3 10:28:09 PDT 2008

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 11:27:15 -0500, Margaret Krakowiak wrote:
> I have a G450 DP, running 10.4.6, with a 17" Apple CRT studio
> display monitor.
> My question is in the interest of energy saving.
>
> I have energy saver set to sleep my computer and monitor after 15 minutes.
> I usually leave my computer on, meaning...... Computer
> and monitor sleep and are ready to wake up in the morning, like me :-)
> What I want to know is would it be better to turn off the monitor
> when I'm at work,
> or at night, while still leaving the computer on, and is it safe to

I leave my Mac running all the time. It sleeps when I'm not using it. AFAIK, when the Mac is asleep all that's on are whatever "pilot" lights are blinking, plus whatever power is needed for the Mac to recognize a "wake-up call" (I don't know if that's significant.) I guess, the only power the monitor is using is for the blinking "pilot" light. There's always been an ongoing conversation about whether it's better to turn off a computer when not using, or just let it run all the time. (There'll never be agreement.) You could switch off just the monitor if you wanted -- I doubt that it would matter much. Also, you could set your HDs to spin down after some time of disuse.

The only time it might not be safe is during a thunderstorm, if you don't have surge protection for power and phone. Then, there's earthquakes to consider, too.

O'Brien