[G4] monitor - turn off or sleep?

Margaret Krakowiak imago at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 3 09:27:15 PDT 2008

I have a G450 DP, running 10.4.6, with a 17" Apple CRT studio display
monitor.
My question is in the interest of energy saving.

I have energy saver set to sleep my computer and monitor after 15
minutes.
I usually leave my computer on, meaning don't shut down at night.
Computer
and monitor sleep and are ready to wake up in the morning, like me :-)
What I want to know is would it be better to turn off the monitor
when I'm at work,
or at night, while still leaving the computer on, and is it safe to
do this? Would
this be more energy saving? I've heard that CRT's use a good bit of
electricity.
I know that's what energy saver and sleep are for, but would turning
off the monitor
be much better in energy savings, and again, is it ok to do this?
It may be a dumb question, but I'm going on the theory that no
question is dumb.
The electric company here has just upped its rates by 15%.

margaret