[G4] Acard AEC-6280M Boot

Doug Burton slugg0 at embarqmail.com
Thu Oct 16 13:27:14 PDT 2008

On Oct 15, 2008, at 9:14 PM, shopdog at mac.com wrote:

> Thank you for the replies, Luke and Harry.
>
> The default ATA controller in the G4 is fine.  I'm using Leopard,
> latest version.  I got the card at NewEgg.  I did not download the
> latest drivers, though.  But now I will.
>
> As to why I'm not using the default controller:  I want to use 5
> hard drives in the machine, and I learned the hard way that
> although it may appear so to a newbie at this (like me), it is not
> possible physically to fit more than 4 drives in the bottom drive
> bays.  I purchased additional dual drive brackets, but: (1) there
> is not enough vertical space to fit 2 drives in Position 1 (the
> leftmost position) because the floor there is slightly raised to
> accommodate some cables running underneath the drive bay, (2) there
> is enough vertical space to fit 2 drives in Position 2 (the middle
> position), but the cables and plugs on the motherboard squish into
> the top drive such that you cannot close the computer back up, and
> (3) you cannot put 2 full dual drive brackets next to one another
> in Position 2 and Position 3 (the rightmost position); the top part
> of the dual drive bracket is too wide.
>
> So if I want 5 drives in the machine, I need to use the Zip drive
> space.  Yes, it is slower if I use the IDE connector there (I'm
> doing this now), but this is not problematic for how I use this
> machine.  To use the default IDE connector (from the default bus),
> I need to purchase an IDE cable extender, which I have not done
> yet.  If could use the default connector for 2 of the bottom drives
> and then send one of the Acard cables up to the drive in the ZIp
> bay, but I'd rather not rely on the Hi-Cap driver more than I have
> to.  The way I have it set up, the Hi-Cap driver is needed really
> only for the boot drive in the Zip bay.
>
> I'm sure there's an easier way-- I welcome any ideas anyone has for
> a better setup.  I need to keep the DVD burner in the machine, but
> I'd love to fit more drives!
>
> I will download the latest drivers on Harry's advice, and then see
> if I can boot from one of the Acard-connected drives.
>
> Thanks so much for the help.  I love this list!
>
> shopdog

Not only is it possible to run 5 drives in the bottom of the case,
but I did it for over a year in my DA.  My setup was exactly like
yours, right down to the same ATA controller.  Here's how I did it.
It's already been established that the middle position can only have
one drive, so that is all I put there.  The rear most position is the
only one which can be used with Apple's 2 drive bracket so that is
what I put there.  The last 2 drives had to be mounted with some
custom brackets that I made using strap metal, which is commonly
available at a hardware store.  I had to offset the top drive so it
would fit back away from the fan housing.

The hardest part is running the cables.  It's a tight fit no matter
how you install the drives.  As I said, I ran mine for about a year
this way and finally decided to go to SATA drives and cables which
fit a whole lot easier.  Since then I have moved the 4 data drives
out of the DA case entirely and mounted them in a separate large full-
sized 5.25" drive case which has it''s own PS.  Just made more sense
from a heat and power stand point.  I bought external pass thru SATA
cables which go where the slot covers normally fit and had to
fabricate some for the drive case.  Using 40 inch SATA cables allows
some flexibility on where to put the drive case.  In any case it
works well.

HTH

Just a message from Doug...