[G4] Acard AEC-6280M Boot

shopdog at mac.com shopdog at mac.com
Tue Oct 28 20:36:37 PDT 2008

Doug:

It's been a couple of weeks, but I need to ask you how you powered the
drives that were sitting outside the chassis.  I have a CoolerMaster
RS-450-ACLX power supply, which is normally used in a chassis to power
all system components.  It, of course, has power connectors for hard
drives.

I set it up as a stand-alone power supply for two drives that are
sitting outside the G4 chassis.  Meaning, it's connected only to a
power outlet, and the two drives.  The two drives are connected to the
Acard AEC-6280M card via some IDE ribbon cables.  What I don't
understand is that when I switch the power supply on, it doesn't power
on.  It doesn't make any noise, and the fan does not start up, and the
drives certainly don't get any power.  It's as if it's not turned on.

Is there another switch that I have to turn, or does it need to be
connected to a motherboard, etc.?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

shopdog