[G4] video card question

John Smutko smutt235 at mac.com
Thu Oct 16 13:46:45 PDT 2008

Hi Margaret

You can also spend some time on eBay.  Search for "Radeon 9800 Pro Mac"

  Occasionally you can find an original Mac 9800 pro, but I actually
picked up a couple of PC cards that had already been flashed for the
Mac for a fair bit less than what you'll find at OWC.  One is in my
Sawtooth and the other is in a Quicksilver I upgraded for my Mom when
her G3 iMac finally bit it and both have been performing quite nicely.

-John

On Oct 16, 2008, at 4:34 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:43:17 -0500
> From: Margaret Krakowiak <imago at bellsouth.net>
> Subject: [G4] video card question
> To: g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
>
> I have a G4 dual 450, gig ethernet Mac,
> with an Apple CRT studio display monitor.
> I'm running OSX 4.6
>
> I just got a little Flip video camcorder
> (great product, BTW), shot some video, and opened
> my iWorks/iMovie 06 to do some editing.
> I get a message saying I should upgrade my video
> card to one that is "Quartz Extreme compatible".
>
> I went to OWC, and they show 2 possibilities,
> the Radeon 9200 PCI for about $100, and the
> Radeon 9800 AGP for about $200.
>
> My questions:
> Are these my only 2 options?
> What is the advantage of PCI over AGP, or
> vice versa?
> The 9200 PCI states it does not support OS9
> on the gig ethernet model - I do have OS9.2.2
> installed, and use it, though infrequently.
>
> thanks,
> margaret

John Smutko
smutt235 at mac.com

I'd like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for the fine
job the folks at the NSA are doing