[G4] Acard AEC-6280M Boot

Doug Burton slugg0 at embarqmail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:21:51 PDT 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 11:36 PM, shopdog at mac.com wrote:

> Doug:
>
> It's been a couple of weeks, but I need to ask you how you powered
> the drives that were sitting outside the chassis.  I have a
> CoolerMaster RS-450-ACLX power supply, which is normally used in a
> chassis to power all system components.  It, of course, has power
> connectors for hard drives.
>
> I set it up as a stand-alone power supply for two drives that are
> sitting outside the G4 chassis.  Meaning, it's connected only to a
> power outlet, and the two drives.  The two drives are connected to
> the Acard AEC-6280M card via some IDE ribbon cables.  What I don't
> understand is that when I switch the power supply on, it doesn't
> power on.  It doesn't make any noise, and the fan does not start
> up, and the drives certainly don't get any power.  It's as if it's
> not turned on.
>
> Is there another switch that I have to turn, or does it need to be
> connected to a motherboard, etc.?
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
> shopdog

By now others have answered as to why the PS doesn't come on, but as
to my setup, I used a large 5.25" full-height drive case which I had
from when I used 4 full-height 50 Gb SCSI HD's as my server drives.
I gave one of the cases to another person who wanted to duplicate my
setup, but I still have 2 left, beside the one I am using.  With
homemade brackets, these cases can hold four 3 1/2 x 1 inch high
drives.  Of course the built-in PS can handle the load, but some Y
power connectors were required to power all 4 drives.  This setup has
been working great since I put it together about a month ago.

Just a message from Doug...