[G4] Sawtooth won't boot in SUM or OF

CDT cdt at globaldsl.net
Wed Apr 15 15:30:39 PDT 2009

I'll say it again - You might want to try the Open Firmware resets.
It's quick, simple, and resolves many flaky problems.  I always start
with them when I begin having trouble.  Shut down the computer.
Start it up again and immediately after the chime, press and hold the
Option, Command, letter "O" and letter "F" keys simultaneously until
a message appears telling you to release them.  (The machine is now
booted into Open Firmware).  Then type the following lines exactly
and press the return key:

reset-nvram (hit the return key)
set-defaults (return)
reset-all (return)

The Mac will restart and should boot normally.  If you still have
problems, it may be time for a PMU reset.  This link will walk you
through it.  http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1939  If you want more
background info, do a google search for "apple PMU reset" which will
bring up a plethora of links.

Dan T

On Apr 15, 2009, at 4:00 PM, Jill Lee-Jones wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have had an ongoing problem with my G4 Sawtooth 450 AGP freezing
> randomly. Sometimes it will run for days just fine, then all of
> sudden one day I cannot even open a snip

snip