[G4] Sawtooth won't boot in SUM or OF

Jill Lee-Jones jillleejones at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 09:13:06 PDT 2009

Dan, Harry, Phil...

I really appreciate your help with this problem. To answer your questions...

1 - The start up button light does come on and stay on. Hard drives spool
up, fans etc. But no video...which makes me think that Phil may be on to
something here. The battery is the original one from when I bought the
machine about 10 years ago. So I will go ahead and replace it just to
eliminate that variable and report back.

2 - I was able to do the PRAM reset. I also went ahead and reset the PMU as
well. Still no joy when trying to boot into OF or SUM. No video signal at
all. When started up normally the machine boots fine and runs normally for a
minute or so then freezes randomly while using the Finder or other apps. It
seems to happen mostly when moving things with the mouse or using the menu
bar. I've also changed the keyboard and mouse to no avail.

I'm stumped...

Jill