[G4] Re: ATX Power Supplies in G4's

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Mon Feb 9 20:44:28 PST 2009

Am 09.02.2009 um 20:44 schrieb Ingrid Mager Renault:

> On Jan 31, 2009, at 10:31 PM, Eric Wood wrote:
>> ........, if you're lucky enough to have a pre-gigabit G4, you can
>> use an ATX power supply. I did that with a Yosemite G3 once,
>> turned out nicely. In fact, I did that as part of moving the whole
>> thing into an ATX tower. It was nice while it lasted.. .....
>
> What are the day to day benefits I might experience by having a
> more powerful power supply?
>
> Thanks,
> Inga

Hello Inga,

I suppose the main benefits are either replacing a faulty unit or
using more drives than would have been possible with the original
unit. In my case, having the system in an ATX case meant I had more
drive bays available, but I think even having three hard drives, an
optical and a zip drive in a Power Mac might be taxing, especially
when the original power supply unit is so old.

So really, it all points to replacing the original PSU in order to
keep the system functional. Might also be needed if you've upgraded
the CPU and video card, as those may suck up more power than the
original components as well.

Viele Grüße,
Eric W.