[G4] What Have I Done To Deserve This

Mel mllwrm at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 09:33:56 PST 2009

Aaron,

An excellent precise summary.

Mel

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, Aaron <aaron at macuser.fastmail.fm> wrote:
From: Aaron <aaron at macuser.fastmail.fm>
Subject: Re: [G4] What Have I Done To Deserve This
To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers." <g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 4:01 AM

It's always good to keep tabs on the SMART status of the internal drive(s).

At 16:54 -0800 2009/02/15, gifutiger wrote:
>I concede, if there isn't a Cable Select jumper on the drive then they
>should be jumped as Master/Slave. However with the cable that is
>provide with the G4 the Master drive will still be the one that is
>closest to the Disk Controller.

Either you're wrong or the G4 you're referring to is entirely
non-standard! Normally, the drive at the end of the cable is the Master, and if
there's only one drive on the cable, it must be set to Master or Cable
Select and should (MUST if using Cable Select) be at the end. However, if
neither drive is using Cable Select, it MAY be OK to put the master in the
middle and the Slave at the end.

 - Aaron