[G4] What Have I Done To Deserve This

gifutiger gifutiger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 12:08:40 PST 2009

Greetings Aaron ( + )!( + )

You are correct, it's been such a long since I installed the second
drive in my G4 that I had forgotten which drive went in which
location. So I opened my case and verified that the bottom drive is
the drive that is "Drive 0" and that it is on the end of the cable.

Then I checked my data base and here is what I found - it was taken
from the manual that accompanied the NEW "Powermac G4 AGP Graphics"
platform that I purchased in 1999

When I purchased the Mac the only drive was the one on the bottom and
I'm not sure if it was on the end of the cable or on the middle
connector.
Ultra ATA Drives
Your Macintosh can accommodate two internal ATA drives in the U-shaped
drive carrier in
drive position 3 at the bottom of the computer. If you purchased a
model with one Ultra ATA
drive, it sits in the lower portion of this U-shaped drive carrier.
You can install a second ATA
drive in the upper part of the carrier.
The drive that came with your Macintosh is designated the primary
drive (sometimes called
the “master drive” or “drive 0”). Therefore, an additional
Ultra ATA drive must be configured
as the secondary drive (sometimes called the “slave drive” or
“drive 1”). For more
information on configuring an additional drive, see the documentation
that came with it.
Your Macintosh will not work with Ultra ATA drives set for “cable
select mode.”
	* This surely was surprise to me!
	I assume that ATA drive will operate in the cable select mode but not
Ultra!
If you added a second ATA drive to a computer that came with one ATA
drive, plug the
connector on the end of the ribbon cable to the drive on the bottom
and attach the
cable’s middle connector to the top drive.