[G4] Buying your own work computer

Robert H. Baucom rbtbcm at owc.net
Thu Feb 19 17:29:22 PST 2009

BILL,
Enjoyed your letter.
Before I went to ElectroCom, I was General Manager of an Electronics
Factory in Everman, TX.
Actuator Control  Technology.We built the first solid state Actuator
Control Box for the actuators (Screw jacks)  that moved the TV
satellite dishes.
The Millionaire that was putting up the money for all this gave us
his (it was a German Clone of the Mac II)

I sat around there with the sales manager at the  controls running
Critical Path until 2:00 AM and the sorry
outfit would crash.

We bought an Apple IIe, an epson printer and I forget the software.
Anyhow, we'd get four hours into
that one and it would crash. I had hired a Pretty little 19 year old
Married gal that had taught Apple II computer operation
  to take control of the computer and do  the books. That went on for
about eight months when I found out that she  hadn't paid the pay
roll taxes
for the last two quarters. I scurried around like a ground squirrel
getting the taxes paid before the padlocks
appeared on the  front doors.

Said to H ... eck with  computers and hired me a mean, bull dike,
double entry, Bookkeeper.
Finally after 3-1/2 years of all that ... said this is more hassle
than I contracted for and went to work for ElectroCom.

My No. 2 son took Basic Programing in high school. He went to work in
computers for SouthWestern Bell
in Saint Louis right out of high school. He was going to Missouri
State columbia as they had the best computer school
we could afford at that time. But then, he paid his own way. He
started writing programs to cheat on computer games. Pretty soon he had
kids writing the code for him and he was marketing them. He was a
supervisor in computee billing at SWB at 19.
By the time he was 25 he was running the Silver Pages for the East
Coast. He had the software running two and
a half times faster than it was designed for. They sent their
engineers down to talk with him.
At 30 he was put into a group that was working special projects for
future software. He was on the team that came to
Dallas and programed the new dial system. He had invested his money
and made so much ... he  retired at 42.
Now he just works the stock market. It's hell when your son's that
much smarter than you.

His older brother, the menza member, also worked at Bell in St.
Louis. He called me when he was 27
and said, "I just got a promotion. I have the job Burt had when he
was 19."

RHB