[G4] Buying your own work computer

Skygram skygram at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 18:43:20 PST 2009

Robert,

I wonder how many computer companies were done in with bad bookkeeping in
those early days. Hell! It was still happening during the dot com phase!

I always made a point of signing all the cheques. This helped when my
partner tried to sell all our equipment out from under me. I caught him red
handed. That was many years ago. However I recently tracked him to Silicon
Valley. When I first met him he had parlayed a membership in Mensa into a
book contract and a teaching job at a local university. He had barely
completed high school. But he knew how to fake it as a result of a
photographic memory. These days I suspect that he must have a lot of money
if the condo complex where he lives is any indication.

I, on the other hand, am the only computer nerd from those early years who
never really made a dime. But I did have one helluva ride! I would not have
missed it for the world.

I spent most of my career doing various multimedia projects, as a producer,
writer and camera guy. I have not been without a computer since the mid
seventies. Before I owned one of my own, I used university mainframes via
teletype keyboards with no monitors whatsoever.

It must be fun having two sons with whom to talk shop. It sounds like they
have done well and you are justifiably proud of them. The three of you
should be offering yourselves out as hired guns. So to speak. I worked with
my dad for a period of time. Little money was made by either of us, but I
saw my father in a different light and I am pleased to have had that chance.

I finally put my old G4 400mhz AGP away in a closet. A buddy had given me a
Quicksilver 2002 to replace it as it was getting too slow and yet I have too
much money invested in some older peripherals that require SCSI etc. If I
upgrade too fast I'd need to buy a new Mac tower but the various SCSI -USB2
or FW400 adapter cards can be problematic. So I am glad to have this new/old
G4 to keep things going for awhile.

Good talking with you,

Bill
Montreal