[G4] Ancient Tech?

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Thu Feb 19 17:49:52 PST 2009

Am 19.02.2009 um 19:10 schrieb Aaron:

> Aside from having built-in SATA and USB 2.0, are there any
> advantages to G5's over G4's, other than that they were made in (at
> least nominally) much faster versions?
>
> Also, aside from running Windoze natively, is there any advantage
> to an Intel Mac over a PowerPC Mac?
>
>  - Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I would consider the main advantages to be, aside from what you've
mentioned, either a faster AGP slot or, better yet, PCIe. The
platform is still quite modern, especially when you're talking over 2
GHz, and of course the 64-bit will be hugely benefitial down the
road. The only Intel advantage I can see is still more speed, more
modern RAM and video interfaces (presumably), and compatibility with
Snow Leopard and beyond. To my knowledge, that OS will be Intel-only.

Incidentally, the G5 platform lives on at present, though not running
a Mac OS, from the makers of Yellow Dog Linux. I forget the name of
the company which owns Terra Soft now, but I believe they're
producing and selling PowerPC tower systems. I have to wonder whether
they could be made to run Leopard.. I suppose with either a bit of a
hack to the OS itself or the use of software under Linux, presto!

Eric W.