[G4] Intel vs PPC

Eric Wood ewood at izoom.net
Thu Feb 19 18:27:03 PST 2009

Am 19.02.2009 um 20:18 schrieb Frank Sudore:

> There is no comparison between the intel & PPC. I have a Macpro
> Tower and it blows a Quadcore G5 i sold away. Especially with
> Photoshop & Cinema 4d.
> Mac made the right move to go to intel although I would of like to
> have seen what AMD would of done for them.

It's getting really annoying to see "of" in place of "have" just
because people have lazy pronunciations ("have" sounds like "of," so
now folks are freaking writing it that way).

Anyway, I think the PowerPC 750 is a viable chip - it just needs a
decent platform to use it. I haven't had the opportunity to compare
Apple's G5s to their Intels, but considering that PowerPC chips have
come to power modern game consoles, I think Apple's implementation
may have been flawed. It's sad to see it go like that, and it may
well be that Apple didn't care to fully utilise the chip with those
Intel plans underway. The slower they made the G5 systems (relative
to their new Intel machines), the better the Intel switch would look.
Same tactic they used to keep one PPC Mac model from cannibalising
sales of another, which is what my iBook G4 demonstrates. It has a
very time cache size (256k I think) to make its 933 MHz feel pretty
lame compared to whatever the PowerBook G4s were doing.

Eric W.