[G4] Correct English Flame War

Dan A. Currie dancurr at frontiernet.net
Mon Feb 23 11:28:08 PST 2009

jonny wrote:
> If a question is important enough to ask, then I believe it's
> important enough to ask in a thoughtful, concise way.
>
> Craft that question so it is most easily addressed, and also
> understood by those of us who may follow the thread so we can learn
> something new.  Slang, texting shorthand, confusing acronyms, typos
> ought to be avoided.  This is about communication, not typing speed or
> ambiguity.
>
> Above all else, understand that some very bright people are giving
> their time & expertise to help those of us who genuinely need it.
> Treat everyone with respect by thoughtfully formulating questions &
> comments.
>
> This is a great forum...and I very much appreciate the learned,
> selfless resource.  Thank you!
>
> jonny
>
> ///

>>> While I appreciate your desire to keep the G4 list on topic about G4
>>> computers,  I have to say that it does me some good to see that
>>> there are still at least a few people out there that care about
>>> grammer.  With our education system turning out illiterates in
>>> droves - despite spending more money on it than ever - things like
>>> this give me SOME hope that we are not, as the song says, on the Eve
>>> Of Destruction.
>>>
>>> Another Old Curmudgeon.
>>
>> And here's yet another old curmudgeon who would remind you that the
>> correct spelling of grammar does not include an "e" in place of the
>> second "a". Also, the correct usage is "people ... who" instead of
>> "people ... that". Since we're in a glass house, so to speak, I'll
>> not cast more stones.
>>
>> :^)
>>
>> Jim Scott

It has been a truly a pleasurable experience to see and "hear" so many
people using the English / American language in this forum to engage in
a bit of harmless banter and yet at the same time educating others that
peruse these postings.

I am neither offended and would hope that I have offended no one with my
brief comments but I have found the entire exercise to be exhilarating
and enjoyable, please excuse the a mild alliteration.

I would only hope that the older curmudgeons, myself included, are not
the only ones with an appreciation of the beauty of the language and
that the younger members of this forum are also participating and
enjoying the show.

It is like watching theater actors performing an off the cuff rendition
of one of the Bards' plays. Pray continue, it keeps my mind and fingers
agile!!

Dan Currie